Home Forums Atheists In the Closet Welcome to Atheists In The Closet!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jonathan H. B. Lobl 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Dorian Wallace
    Participant

It took me 13 years to tell my family that I was an Atheist. Even then, it wasn’t until a year later that they really started to realize that it wasn’t a ‘phase’ and it was truly something that was a part of me.

They reacted poorly. It was upsetting. I’m still upset that something as silly as the disbelief in a deity and an afterlife caused so much pain and tension.

As far as Christian families go, mine is pretty liberal and open minded, and yet they still were in shock and disbelief to find that I didn’t find the fairy tales real. I was the same person that they had seen grow up. My morals have were exactly the same. But suddenly the discovery of my lack of faith turned everything upside down. I was called a ‘disappointment’ and ‘disgraceful’.

‘Out of everything you’ve ever done, THIS is by far the worst!’ -actual quote

Some people come from much stricter families. Some don’t, but still have a hard time finding a way to be themselves.

Every time my family prayed, I felt like I was living a lie. Well… I was.

We have a private forum for any Atheist that is going through a struggle their family life, community or situation.

Feel free to sign up, judgement free. It’s 100% free.

-Dorian Wallace

staff
    Keymaster

Stickied this

Jonathan H. B. Lobl
    Participant

I put my Atheist ordination on my Facebook page. Nothing bad happened yet.

Jonathan H. B. Lobl
    Participant

🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.